Frequently Asked Questions

When obstacles appear along your journey, we are here to help you explore new paths to support your growth and to live your best life.

Q: What training is required to be a Psychologist?
A: A Psychologist is a professional who has achieved graduate-level, university education in psychology (at least a Masters degree in Alberta) as well as supervised practical experience. In Alberta, psychologists must be registered by the College of Alberta Psychologists. In order to be a Registered Psychologist with the College, a psychologist must have their educational and training credentials reviewed and approved. They must also pass specific tests (written and oral) to assess their knowledge and understanding of many aspects of psychology as well as ethical and legal matters related to the practice of psychology.

Q: What is the difference between a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist?
A: A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who has done additional training in the area of psychiatry. They may or may not offer therapy services to their patients. Psychiatrists are able to prescribe medications while Psychologists do not prescribe medications.

Q: Are Psychologists fees covered by Alberta Health Care?
A: Fees charged by psychologists in private practice are not covered by Alberta Health Care. However, if you have extended health care benefits, you may have benefits or health spending accounts that will cover fees for psychological services. You need to check with your specific benefits plan to see if you are covered, but most plans include some amount of coverage for services provided by a Registered Psychologist. Some plans require that the psychologist must have Ph.D.-level training in psychology, but you should check with your specific plan for details.

Q: Do I need to be referred by my doctor to be seen by a Psychologist?
A: No, you do not require a physician referral to be seen by a psychologist in private practice. You can simply call and book an appointment with the psychologist of your choice at a time that is convenient for you.

Q: How long does therapy take?
A: It depends… There is no simple answer to this question because every individual and situation is unique. The time that you spend coming to see a therapist really depends on what your specific goals are for treatment. Sometimes people are looking for an opportunity to consult briefly with a professional and other times they are interested in looking at more in-depth issues that may keep them repeating similar patterns over time. Dr. Kincade is very respectful of your particular goals and will tailor treatment to your individual needs.

Q: I think my child might have a learning disability.  What should I do?
A: If you are concerned about your child’s learning, the first step is usually to speak to his or her teacher. The teacher can typically give you a sense of whether your child is meeting expectations relative to the grade placement and age. If the teacher shares your concerns regarding your child’s learning, you may wish to speak with other school officials, such as a resource teacher, principal or assistant principal to see what options might be available to further explore your concerns. If you decide to pursue a psychoeducational assessment by a psychologist in private practice, you should first arrange an interview, so you can discuss your child’s academic and developmental history as well as your current concerns. Please feel free to explore the “Psychoeducational Assessment” page on this website for more information.